The accountant job description for a small business is somewhat that of a generalist and demands more from an accountant than the job description of an accountant of a large company. Many factors including the fact that small businesses do not have fat budget is a major reason why the job description for small business accountant tends to be that of a generalist.
Notice that this post is just a list of things that accountants of a small businesses do as part of their job description. The points are self-explained so I won’t make this post unnecessarily long by providing explanation.
20 functions that best describes the job function of a small business accountant
- Recording financial transactions
- Preparation of financial statement
- Configuring enterprise resource planning systems
- Assessment of business, financial and compliance risk
- Provision of timely and useful financial information
- Appraising investment
- Valuating stocks and businesses
- Designing accounting system
- Writing business reports
- Preparing budgets
- Filing for tax returns
- Maintaining staff payroll
- Giving advice on best internal control practices
- Preparation of asset register
- Ensuring the safety of accounting information system
- Preparing cash forecast and models using spreadsheets
- Recommend the best accounting software to suit the needs of a business
- Prepare bank reconciliation statement
- Preparing business plan and feasibility study
- Help source for finance for expansion
Many people argue that these are too much for job description of small business accountants, they keep asking; how on earth can a single individual do all these for a small business? Well, if you are among those people thinking this way, I have one advice for you- TRY another profession because gone are the days when accountants are known for their number crunching ability.
If you got to this page because you are thinking of getting a job as an accountant of a small business, you better get ready because your job description might include things that most family owned businesses don’t bother to include in official job description document.
Leave a Reply